Here at Griffin’s Grub, we’re not all about grilling or bbq or cooking on the Big Green Egg. Sometimes we cook inside…whether its due to weather, or laziness or jut due to other circumstances.
Yesterday, we were scheduled to go look at a few houses. Yep, it’s moving time again. Stacie got a new job and now we are both commuting way to far, so we need to find a more central location to try to cut down on some of the driving. That, and we’ve just kinda gotten tired of and outgrown the house we are in now. So with a few houses to go look at, we knew we wouldn’t have the time to ‘cue up anything for dinner. Then it hit us, why not drag that ole crockpot out and see what we can come up with?
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot, your choice)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes (basil, garlic and oregano preferred)
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 14oz cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- Brown Italian sausage in a large skillet along with onions and garlic. Drain off fat and set aside.
- In a 4.4 to 6 quart crockpot combine carrot and celery. Add in sausage mixture.
- In a medium bowl combine undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, and spices. Pour tomato mixture into the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low setting, turn to high heat setting. Stir in pasta. Cover and cook 20 minutes longer. Remove bay leaf and serve with french bread or garlic bread.
This is a super easy, but flavorful dish that only takes about 20 minutes to prep and will serve 8 (or 6 hungry Texans) and its pretty healthy for you with only 250 calories and 13 g fat. Makes the house smell great as it simmers along all day and is a very comforting dish as the weather begins to cool off outside.
Sorry, there are no pics. I forgot to grab the SD card out of the camera on my way to work today, but I’ll try to upload some tonight. Thanks for looking. (pics finally added on 7/10/14)