This a simple marinara sauce that can be used for pasta, as a dipping sauce or on pizzas, pizza rolls and calzones.
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional for heat)
- In a blender or food processor, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and basil and process until finely chopped.
- Pour into a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for about 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to fit your palette.
- Sauce can be used immediately, but will taste better the next day as the flavors marry.
Recipe makes about 1.5 cups